All you need for this fast and healthy Blueberry Banana French Toast is a large coffee mug and a microwave … and then breakfast is served.
I don’t know about you, but sometimes on busy mornings I want something more substantial than a bowl of breakfast cereal (and so do my kids). And I don’t know about you, but sometimes I don’t feel like doing a lot of dishes after breakfast.
Bring on French toast in a mug.
I ate a lot of French toast the week I was testing this recipe. I made it five times to nail down the best cooking time and the best balance between the liquid and dry ingredients. The final result is my easy and satisfying French Toast in a Mug with 11 grams of protein and 4 grams of filling fiber.
It takes about 90 seconds to cook this French toast in the microwave. If the eggs don’t appear to be fully set, microwave another 20 to 30 seconds, but do it in 10 second increments. And keep an eye on the microwave so the contents of your French toast don’t explode over the top!
Active, on-the-go kids will love my Blueberry Banana French Toast in a Mug!
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Sodium: 190mg
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 11g
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ ripe banana, mashed
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup blueberries
- A few pinches ground cinnamon
- Optional Toppings: Pure maple syrup, sliced bananas, blueberries
- Spray the inside of a microwave-safe, 12-ounce mug with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the egg, banana, and milk in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Stir in the bread, blueberries, and cinnamon until the bread is covered with the liquid, and then transfer the mixture to the prepared mug.
- Microwave until the egg is cooked through, 90 seconds. If the egg is set, remove from microwave, or cook another 20 to 30 seconds until done, but do this in 10 second increments. Keep a watchful eye on the mug; if you see the French toast rising up and over the mug, stop the microwave! (Use an oven mitt to remove the mug in case the handle is hot.)
- Allow the French toast to cool for about 5 minutes. Top with maple syrup, banana slices, and blueberries as desired.
What are your favorite fast family breakfast recipes? Are you more of a pancake fan or a French toast fan?