Imagine an easy dessert that has the potential to fight cancer, promote good health, and satisfy a sweet tooth all at the same time! Yes please! The star ingredients in this easy-to-assemble, gluten-free Chocolate Cherry Chia Pudding recipe are cherries, chia seeds, and walnuts. Cherries–fresh, frozen, canned, or dried–and walnuts contain melatonin, a bioactive that laboratory research shows may help to prevent cancer. And chia seeds are an excellent source of fiber (1 tablespoon has 4 grams), important for digestion and overall good health.
This recipe calls for 2% reduced-fat milk, but any milk would work fine. It also calls for frozen cherries, which are super convenient and nutritious, and chia seeds, which provide fiber and omega-3 fats.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: ½ cup + toppings
- Calories: 270
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Sugar: 6g added
- Sodium: 85mg
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 8g
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk*
- 1½ cups frozen cherries, partially thawed
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. toasted unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon chocolate shavings, or more as desired
- Mint sprigs, optional
- Place milk, cherries, cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla in a blender and process until smooth.
- Place chia seeds in a mixing bowl. Pour liquid mixture over seeds and whisk until well combined. Let sit 10 minutes and whisk again. Cover, transfer to refrigerator, and allow chia seeds to absorb liquid overnight.
- When ready to serve, transfer mixture into four small bowls, parfait glasses, or jars.
* Chia pudding is set when the seeds swell to almost double their size.
Are you a fan of cherries and chocolate? I love the combo!