I’m a dietitian and a foodie and I can’t wait for you to try my Mango Summer Salad with Honey-Ginger Dressing. It’s a plant-based recipe that’s sweet and savory, nutritious and delicious, and gluten free.
Disclosure: I created this recipe and post as part of a paid partnership with the National Mango Board. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
For the recipe you’ll need one ripe, juicy mango. Peel and cut into ½-inch pieces. If you need tips for how to cut a mango, check out “the many ways to cut a mango” page over on Mango.org.
Once the mango is cut into 1/2-inch dice, place in a large bowl with quinoa, diced red bell pepper, sliced cucumber, chickpeas (hello protein!), green onion, and lots of fresh basil and mint. Give it a good stir.
July 22 is National Mango Day – who knew!? — but for me every day is a mango day! I love their tropical flavor, and every serving provides over 20 vitamins and minerals including vitamin C and folate, which support a healthy immune system, fiber – good for digestion, and important antioxidants like beta-carotene and lutein. Mangos pack a nutritional punch!
Finally for the dressing – this is my new favorite summer combo – I’m using extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, fresh ginger, and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle over the salad and mix it all together.
To learn more about mangos, check out Buy Fresh Mangos.
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- 2 green onions, trimmed and cut into thin rounds
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup packed basil leaves, chopped
- ½ cup packed mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package direction. Transfer to a bowl, fluff with a fork, and let cool to room temperature. (You'll have 1½ cups cooked.)
- Place the mango in a large bowl. Add the cooked quinoa, bell pepper, cucumber, green onion, chickpeas, basil, and mint and stir to combine.
- To make the dressing place the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, mustard, ginger, and salt and pepper to taste in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and stir until all ingredients are well incorporated. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired.