This recipe for Sweet Potato & Bean Nacho Scoopers is the ultimate tailgate snack. Why ultimate? Well, because it’s filled with flavorful roasted sweet potatoes, fiber-filled beans, salsa, green onion, and cheese … and each bite-size morsel screams, “loaded nachos.” Who can relate to sitting down to a platter piled high with cheesy nachos only to quickly eat your way down to a bottom layer of bare chips? These scoopers solve the dreaded bare chip dilemma, since each mini scoop-shaped chip is filled to the brim.
I’ll be watching this year’s Super Bowl with Tim. We usually celebrate with a group of friends who are Patriot’s super fans, but this year we won’t get to see the Pat’s in the Super Bowl or our friends. COVID lifestyle. Boo hoo. But you can still make these hearty (and yes) healthy scoopers for your family and the rest of your quarantine pod.
- 1 medium sweet potato, washed and cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A few pinches kosher salt and pepper
- 25 tortilla chip scoops
- ½ cup beans (white, black, pinto)
- 2 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup salsa
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded Cheddar or Mexican cheese blend, divided
- Zest of half a lime
- A few pinches ground cumin
- Optional toppings: Guacamole, plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream), chopped cilantro, thinly sliced green onion
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the diced sweet potato in a large mixing bowl with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Stir until the sweet potatoes are coated with the oil. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet, and bake until tender, about 20 minutes. Toss the sweet potato cubes halfway through to ensure even caramelization. When done, remove from the oven and transfer back to the mixing bowl to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, arrange the tortilla scoops on the baking sheet. (It's okay to reuse the foil.)
- Once the sweet potato cubes have cooled slightly, stir in the beans, onions, salsa, cilantro, ¼ cup of the cheese, lime zest, and cumin.
- Add a spoonful of the sweet potato mixture to each. Top each scooper with a sprinkling of the remaining cheese. Place back in the oven and bake until heated through and the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Garnish each with optional toppings.
What’s your favorite game-day snack?