2020 was a doozy of a year, and I don’t need to say why! On this week’s show, I look back at my favorite episodes from 2020, the changing food and eating trends we saw during the pandemic, a new killer recipe for Chocolate, Orange & Almond Sparkle Cookies, and the silver linings that sprung from nearly a year of quarantine. Of course, we all had big hopes and dreams for the year, and I even talked about them on episode 67 during my Celebrate 2020 episode. But like so many people out there, I nixed a year of food adventure and travel for an at-home lifestyle that included working (initially) from my dining room table and cooking a heck of a lot more for my immediate family. What were YOUR silver linings? Share a comment below and tell me about the good things that emerged from your COVID life.
Today’s show is about silver linings as I want to explore all the good things that came with the difficulties of the pandemic. We’ll wrap up the show with my new favorite holiday treat for Chocolate, Orange & Almond Sparkle Cookies. This recipe is gluten free, made with GF 1 to 1 baking flour, almond flour, and cocoa powder, and it hits the sweet spot all year long
This year, families discovered how much they love sitting down to eat meals together. Family meals are now a big trend.
– Liz Weiss, MS, RDN
Fill your cookie jar with these better-for-you cookies: Chocolate, Orange & Almond Sparkle Cookies
Sautéed Shrimp With Vegetables and Ketchup Sauce is a family recipe created by my Boston University intern, Linfei Chen. Head to the LHT blog to check it out!
- How I transitioned to my new stand-up desk and saw immediate improvement in my physical health
- Yoga classes at home; my new favorite teacher is Jordan at Burning Wheel
- Discovering new parts of Nantucket with my eBike
- Binging on TV shows: Emily in Paris, The Queen’s Gambit, and The Mandalorian
- How I’ve been cooking a LOT and have loved the return to family mealtimes
- My new pastime: Master Class. I’m currently taking a class on Modern Middle Eastern Cooking with my favorite chef, Yotam Ottolenghi
- How I’ve loved working with my awesome intern from Shanghai who currently lives in Boston; try her delicious family recipe for Ketchup Shrimp with Vegetables
- New skills doing Zoom cooking classes, TV segments, and webinar from my home kitchen, with the help of some basic lighting and audio equipment
- Some of my favorite Liz’s Healthy Table episodes from 2020: Joe Yonan from the Washington Post and his cookbook, Cool Beans; Annie Fenn, MD with Brain Health Kitchen; and the shows I did on quarantine cooking, immunity, and food safety
- Some favorite 2020 Silver Linings shared by listeners
- My plans for this winter include moving into our new Boston condo, enjoying city life, and waiting for the COVID vaccine
- As promised, my recipe for Chocolate, Orange & Almond Sparkle Cookies; they are made with gluten-free baking flour, almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, eggs, sugar, canola oil, vanilla extract, orange zest, and sparkly sprinkles
- Glimpses into upcoming shows for 2021; I hope you’ll join us in 2021!
LINKS and RESOURCES:
My email: [email protected]