Join me on this week’s podcast as I clear up the confusion about the safest and most efficient way to grocery shop, food safety and coronavirus, and restaurant take-out in the age of COVID-19. My guest is Hilary Thesmar, PhD, RD, Chief Food and Product Safety Officer and Senior VP of Food Safety Programs for the Food Marketing Institute (FMI). Hilary is a registered dietitian with a master’s degree in Human Nutrition and a Ph.D. in Food Technology. Wait until you hear her advice on how to handle your groceries when you get home from the supermarket, why it’s OK to order and eat take-out from your favorite restaurants, and how the supply chain is adapting to the distribution of things like milk, eggs, and toilet paper to the supermarket.
“We’re seeing an increase in people shopping for others, like for the elderly and others in need. ” – Hilary Thesmar, PhD, RD
Check out the results of a recent survey conducted by the Food Marketing Institute and the Hartman Group on grocery shopping habits during the COVID-19 pandemic.
This is how you wash produce. There is absolutely no need for bleach or soap. In fact, it’s not safe. All you need is water and a clean vegetable scrubbing brush.
- Get to know Hilary Thesmar, PhD, RD, her work at FMI, her family, and her dog
- A recent survey conducted by the Food Marketing Institute and the Hartman Group on grocery shopping habits during the pandemic.
- How people have changed their shopping habits (Click here for the complete survey.)
- Why people worry about finding groceries and supplies that they need
- How the supermarket supply chain has had to pivot during the pandemic
- Why we can’t find toilet paper at the store, but why that is slowly changing for the better
- What’s happening with the milk supply
- Supermarket shopping procedures during COVID-19, including employee health, cleaning and sanitation policies, and social distancing rules
- There is no known transmission of the virus through food or food packaging
- What to do with your groceries when you get home from the supermarket. Do you need to wipe down and sanitize every package?
- Why water is the best way to clean your fruits and vegetables. Do NOT use cleansers or dilute bleach
- Why it’s OK and safe to order take-out meals from your favorite restaurants
- Hilary’s home-cooking food philosophy during the pandemic
LINKS and RESOURCES:
My email: [email protected]
- The Parents On Demand Network
COLOR, COOK, LEARN 26-Day Challenge: Sign up here
Have a question about the show or a suggestion for a future show? Ask away by posting a comment below or joining my Podcast Posse
For other Liz’s Healthy Table Podcasts, check out: