On today’s podcast, we’re celebrating the frigid month of January with a show about freezer cooking. Get inspired to use your Instant Pot or slow cooker with my guest, Rachel Tiemeyer, co-author of, From Freezer to Cooker. Learn how to make time-saving family meals using your pressure cooker, slow cooker, and your freezer. Putting dinner on the table night after night for your busy family just go a whole lot easier!
Rachel Tiemeyer co-wrote the new cookbook, From Freezer to Cooker: Delicious Whole Food Meals for the Slow Cooker, Pressure Cooker, and Instant Pot. The recipes are easy, delicious, family-pleasing, and nourishing. We’ll dig into Rachel’s new recipe for The Humble Home Cook’s Beef Bourguignon, which you can be made in a slow cooker or instant pot … and we’ll share the fiber-rich, plant-based recipe that I contributed to Rachel’s cookbook for Instant Pot Barley, Carrot, and Chickpea Soup (which you can also make in the slow cooker). Rachel is co-founder with Polly Conner of Thriving Home, a down-to-earth lifestyle blog that they began in 2012 as a way to encourage and equip moms at home with recipes, DIY projects, budgeting, and more. Their website is one of the top sites for freezer cooking in the online space.
“Our highest goal with our recipes is that they are delicious.”
Cookbook Giveaway: One lucky U.S. listener or reader can enter for a chance to win a copy of From Freezer to Cooker: Delicious Whole-Foods Meals for the Slow Cooker, Pressure cooker, and Instant Pot by Polly Conner & Rachel Tiemeyer. Post a comment in the Comments section at the end of this post and tell me about your favorite slow cooker or Instant Pot recipe. Or if you’re a freezer diva, tell me what you like to cook from your freezer! Giveaway ends on January 29th.
Special FREEBIE page for LHT listeners: ThrivingHome.org/lizshealthytable
- Top 10 EASY Freezer Meals – This collection of favorites will get you started right away on stocking your freezer.
- Instant Pot Cooking Times Chart – We spent years testing these cooking times (for fresh and frozen meals)!
- Weekly Menu Planner – A simple printable to help you plan each week.
- Freezer Smoothie Pack Bundle – Stock your freezer with delicious and healthy smoothies.
- Get to know Rachel Tiemeyer, a busy mom of three who lives in Columbia, MO. Rachel is known as a “Freezer Cooking Evangelist.”
- Why freezing prepared meals does not deplete nutrients
- Rachel’s first book, From Freezer to Table, published in 2017; it covers how to prep, pack, store, and thaw freezer meals
- How every recipe in Rachel’s new book, From Freezer to Cooker, can be prepared in either the slow cooker or Instant Pot and used as a freezer meal
- Why you don’t want to fully cook a “freezer” meal before freezing
- Rachel’s Beef Bourguignon: A flavorful concoction of stew meat or chuck roast, bacon, aromatics, flour, red wine, chicken broth, tomato paste, soy sauce, thyme, bay leaf, carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes
- Rachel’s secrets for using a pressure cooker or Instant Pot for freezer meals
- Safe ways to thaw freezer meals: in the refrigerator, in a cold water bath, or in the microwave
- Why the Instant Pot keeps food juicier than a slow cooker
- Why people often over cook chicken in the slow cooker (it dries it out), and Rachel’s chicken cooking tips to fix that mistake
- Rachel’s rules for cooking great meals in the slow cooker
- Some favorites from the cookbook at the Tiemeyer house: Jack’s Chicken and Dumpling Stew and French Dip Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Breakfasts and desserts can be made in the slow cooker and Instant Pot, including steel-cut oats, egg casseroles, and french toast casseroles
- How to use “Pot in pot” cooking
- A favorite vegetarian recipe in the book: Pumpkin Chili
- A random question from the Mason jar about Rachel’s favorite food
LINKS and RESOURCES:
My email: [email protected]
Check out my “Reduce Your Kitchen Carbon Footprint” blog series. In January, we’re tackling COMPOSTING
Episode 11 featured Rachel’s first cookbook, From Freezer to Table
Have a question about the show or a suggestion for a future show? Ask away by posting a comment below or joining my Podcast Posse
For other Liz’s Healthy Table Podcasts, check out: