On today’s show, I’m taking you behind the scenes to one of my hands-on cooking classes. I realize that most of you don’t live in my home state of Massachusetts, so this is going to be a virtual cooking class where you get to follow along. Close your eyes, tune in, and come with me to a fun, exciting and delicious cooking experience.
I’ve been on Nantucket this summer, and over at the Nantucket Culinary Center, I’ve been giving cooking classes throughout the summer to locals and island visitors. These classes are always an adventure, and of course, everyone who joins one of my classes gets to cook up all sorts of nourishing foods. I thought it would be cool to take you along to one of my classes … not in person, but through this podcast episode.
Watch one of my classes in action! You can spot me in the flowery apron 🙂
If you can’t attend one of my cooking classes in person, create your own class with family and friends, and follow my recipes as you go.
~ Liz Weiss, MS, RDN
Download my FREE Cooking School Recipes download.
- My recipe for Wild Rice Grain Bowls (AKA, nourish bowl, Buddha bowl, power bowl)
- Deviled Eggs:
- Ingredients include hard-boiled eggs, mayo, diced orange bell pepper, dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper, and paprika
- Cook’s tip: Steam the eggs; use a sandwich bag as a piping bag
- Salmon Cakes:
- Ingredients include grilled salmon, whole wheat panko bread crumbs, shredded cheddar cheese, fresh corn kernels, mayo, dijon mustard, egg, fresh dill, and lemon zest. Avocado sauce ingredients include ripe avocado, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, fresh tarragon, dill, or parsley, honey, dijon mustard, and salt and pepper.
- Cook’s tip: Substitute canned salmon if grilled isn’t available
- Wild Rice and Kale Salad:
- Ingredients include cooked brown or wild rice, kale, diced orange bell pepper, green onions, fresh parsley, toasted pecans, dried cranberries, diced celery. Dressing ingredients include olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, honey, and salt and pepper.
- Cook’s tip: Add crumbled feta cheese, if desired. This recipe is a great lunchbox option, topped with grilled chicken. For shortcuts, use pre-washed baby kale, boil-in-bag rice, and other dried fruits.
- Peach Apple Berry Crisp:
- Ingredients include diced ripe peaches, diced pink lady apples, strawberries, blueberries, brown sugar, cinnamon, corn starch, quick-cooking oats, chopped pecans, salt, and oil.
- Cook’s tip: Use frozen peaches if fresh aren’t available, and feel free to substitute other seasonal fruits.
- Find a way to celebrate summer; have a cooking class with your friends or your kids
- A tip for stabilizing your cutting board: Place a wet paper towel under the cutting board to create a non-slip surface
My email: [email protected]
Have a question about the show or a suggestion for a future show? Ask away by posting a comment below or joining my Podcast Posse