Today’s show features a new cookbook that’s designed to empower teens, college students, and young adults how to cook. It’s written by one of my favorite dietitian cookbook authors, Katie Morford, MS, RDN. Katie’s new book is called, PREP: The Essential College Cookbook, and the tips, recipes, and kitchen wisdom in the book provide the foundation for a lifetime of kitchen confidence.
I hope you’re hungry because Katie joins me to answer your questions and to talk about some of my favorite recipes from the book including Butter Lettuce with Green Goodness Dressing, Roasted Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan, and Golden Banana Bread. We dish about how to teach kids knife skills (yup, it can be intimidating), the importance of empowering kids of all ages with the skills they need to work their way around the kitchen, lots of kitchen wisdom, the benefits of knowing how to cook when you’re a young adult.
“A lot of parts of parenting are scary … and teaching knife skills is no different!”
~ Katie Morford, MS, RDN
Katie and I are giving away a copy of PREP: The Essential College Cookbook to one lucky winner (U.S. entries only, please). To enter for a chance to win, tell me why you’d like to win the book and/or tell me about your first kitchen cooking experience. What was the first recipe you ever made when you were a kid or young adult or the first recipe you made with your teen? Winner selected at random on May 8th.
Katie’s Golden Banana Bread recipe is made simply with mashed bananas, all-purpose flour, chopped walnuts, eggs, and oil. I added a handful of dark chocolate chips and used pecans instead of walnuts, since that’s what I had on hand. Get the recipe on the blog.
The next time you roast broccoli or cauliflower florets, toss at the end with grated Parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice. The citrus works wonders to brighten up the veggies.
- All the juicy details of Katie’s life and work as a registered dietitian, writer, cookbook author, and busy mom of three daughters
- Katie’s go-to supper meal: roasted veggies tossed with cooked grains ora dded to tacos or eggs
- Katie’s new book, a “starter” cookbook for people of any age
- How the cookbook idea came about as Katie’s oldest daughter prepared to go to college
- The double meaning of the title, PREP
- Benefits of learning to cook from scratch (and not relying on take-out!)
- How to teach your kids knife skills
- How to encourage a college kid to eat healthier and learn to prepare simple meals
- Katie’s basic tips for cooking rookies, which you’ll learn about in the book:
- Taste as you go
- Realize that everyone makes mistakes
- Double check your recipe
- Know terms like chop, dice, whisk, beat, etc.
- Kitchen equipment essentials that Katie recommends
- How Katie wrote the directions for the recipes in PREP
- How anyone can pick up this book and have success, even if they’ve never cooked before
- Family favorites for Katie: Applesauce Cake, Banana Bread, and salads
- Katie’s Butter Lettuce with Green Goodness Dressing, which is made with avocado, green onion, fresh basil, lemon juice, olive oil, sour cream, and mayo
- Katie’s hacks for using a blender for the dressing and for cleaning the blender
- Katie’s Lighter Green Goodness Dressing from Mom’s Kitchen Handbook
- Tips for quick and easy meals after a long day at school (or work):
- Plan ahead on the weekend
- Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the slow cooker for versatile meals
- Liz’s Pulled Pork slow cooker recipe
- Katie’s Roasted Broccoli with Lemon and Parmesan (this technique can be used with cauliflower, sweet potatoes, fennel, and turnips)
- The importance of knowing how to prep vegetables
- Katie’s personal favorites from the chapter called, “How to Feed Your Friends:” Thai Coconut Curry Noodle Soup and “Mix-in-the-pan” Applesauce Cake
- Why the book doesn’t include nutrition information
- Which, if any, of Katie’s daughters is destined to become a Michelin Star Chef
- What’s next for Katie?
My email: [email protected]
Find Katie Morford, MS, RDN:
Rise and Shine: Better Breakfasts for Busy Mornings by Katie Morford
PREP: The Essential College Cookbook by Katie Morford
Have a question about the show or a suggestion for a future show? Ask away by posting a comment below or joining my Podcast Posse