Asparagus is in season. Hooray. To celebrate the versatility, nutritional benefits, and flavor of this ancient vegetable, I invited Jim Wilson and Chef Raymond Ost to join me on the show. Jim is the head farmer and co-owner of Wilson Farm in Lexington, MA and Raymond Ost is their executive chef. They know a lot about asparagus, so tune in for growing tips, cooking tips, recipes, and a whole lot more!
Find out how asparagus is grown and harvested and how to choose the freshest stalks. Discover prep and cooking tips, recipe ideas, and hear all about its nutritional benefits. Did you know asparagus is considered a prebiotic food, which supports a healthy microbiome?
“Get your kids involved in the process. Have them snap off the ends of asparagus and cook together.”
Stick around to find out how to make Asparagus Salad with Eggs and Prosciutto, and check out my asparagus recipe roundup blog post. There’s so much to learn about this seasonal and sensational vegetable, so let’s get started.
- Discover the history of Wilson Farm in Lexington, MA. They’ve been growing since 1884, and I’ve been shopping there since 1992 🙂
- How Wilson Farm has grown and evolved with the times.
- Jim describes what it looks like to see asparagus growing in the field.
- The difference between white, green, and purple asparagus.
- Jim’s favorite way to eat asparagus.
- The story of the Wilson Farm llama, Belle.
- Learn how Chef Ost from Wilson Farm became a Master French Chef.
- What to look for when buying asparagus at the market.
- Learn how to make Asparagus Salad with Eggs and Prosciutto, with a basil and tarragon dressing. Chef Ost created it and I have been eating it all week!
- Discover the best way to grill asparagus.
- Why Chef Ost loves tarragon.
- Wait till you hear about how Chef Ost makes soup with asparagus and uses roasted asparagus tips as garnish.
- How to roast asparagus.
- How Chef Ost would make a rhubarb dessert.
My email: [email protected]
Wilson Farm on Instagram
Wilson Farm on Twitter
Wilson Farm on Facebook
Other Links discussed on the show:
Have a question about the show or a suggestion for a future show? Ask away by posting a comment below or joining my Podcast Posse.