Click the PLAY button above to listen to the show.
Love the LHT podcast? Subscribe on iTunes and post a review.
Whether you’re making dinner for your family or hosting a fabulous dinner party, the electric pressure can get you to the table quickly and deliciously. Looking for a super-flavorful, nourishing bowl of lentil soup for tonight’s dinner? The Instant Pot (AKA electric pressure cooker) has you covered. Hungry for Beef Bourguignon? No problem! Joining me on today’s podcast with insights into this wildly popular appliance is Melissa Clark, author of Dinner in an Instant: 75 Modern Recipes for Your Pressure Cooker, Multicooker + Instant Pot and reporter for the New York Times food section.
Promising convenience and versatility, electric pressure cookers are the must-have countertop appliance for busy home cooks. When I first got my hands on one, I didn’t find it as intuitive as I imagined. But after a few newbie snafus, my Instant Pot has quickly become my favorite time saver in the kitchen. From braises and beans to lentil soup, ribs and even dessert, the electric pressure cooker can unlock delicious and healthy recipes for your family to enjoy.
If you were like me and needed a little help getting started, then this week’s show is a perfect place to begin. Here to the rescue with secrets for cooking colorful and creative recipes in the electric pressure cooker is my guest, Melissa Clark.
Like many avid cooks, Melissa was fascinated with the promised potential of the pressure cooker, and what she discovered was nothing short of a kitchen miracle. Because of the high pressure sealed inside the cooker, recipes that typically take hours to cook are done in less than half the time. On the show, we dish about recipes that work wonders in the Instant Pot including her Vietnamese-Glazed Salmon (which I’ve made five times already) and the recipe that’s on the cover of Melissa’s cookbook for Sticky Tamarind Baby Back Ribs. Next up on my to-make list are some of the dessert recipes from the book.
Want to win a copy of Dinner in an Instant: 75 Modern Recipes for Your Pressure Cooker, Multicooker + Instant Pot? To enter, leave a comment at the end of this post and tell me about your favorite thing to cook in the Instant Pot and/or why you want to win Melissa’s cookbook. I’ll pick the winner at random on March 21st. Good luck! (U.S. only, please)
- Melissa describes the inner workings of the electric pressure cooker. They’re different from the stove-top pressure cookers your grandmother may have used “back in the day.”
- Why Melissa decided to write Dinner in an Instant.
- Why pressure cookers are excellent for braises and beans.
- Melissa’s process for developing recipes.
- The recipes Melissa’s daughter loves to eat.
- How the Vietnamese-Glazed Salmon recipe takes just one minute to cook.
- Cheesecakes and custards are perfect for the pressure cooker.
- Questions from the Podcast Posse!
- Why the Instant Pot has taken off.
- Comfort food for all of your weeknight dinners.
- Melissa doesn’t have a magic formula for converting traditional recipes for the pressure cooker. Here about her conversion approach.
- Melissa’s favorite chefs and cookbooks.
- Enter to win a copy of Melissa’s cookbook.
- Do not be afraid to experiment! There is a learning curve with the electric pressure cooker.
My email: [email protected]
Sticky Tamarind Baby Back Ribs