This easy one-bowl meal is made simply with fiber-rich green lentils, oh-so trendy spiralized butternut squash, onion, red bell pepper, fresh cilantro, and a secret, flavor-filled ingredient: smoked ghost pepper infused organic coconut oil. Talk about a family eating adventure!
Serve this gluten-free power bowl with toppings like crumbled goat cheese, diced avocado, and additional cilantro (or parsley, if you’re not a fan of cilantro) so your family can customize their own bowl.
I tapped into a few hot food trends for this recipe, including the rising popularity of plant-based eating and pulses like lentils, the quest for recipes made with spiralized vegetables, and exciting flavors from ingredients like hot chili peppers. I combined all three trends for this easy, flavorful, and nourishing bowl meal.
I appreciate a recipe with just six ingredients. What about you?
I have to give my former Boston University intern, Jen, a shoutout for helping me create and photograph this recipe. As you can see, taking food photos is all about capturing the best light, even if it means sitting on the kitchen floor! Thanks Jen 🙂
I also need to give a shoutout to NOW Foods for inspiring this recipe. In October, they invited me to a sponsored tour their facility, sample their lineup of natural foods and dietary supplements, and cook with some of their food products, including their Smoked Ghost Pepper infused organic virgin coconut oil. In the photo above, Dawn Jackson Blatner, RDN, who co-hosted the event, tells us more about the NOW food philosophy.
If you know me, you know that I don’t typically gravitate to spicy foods. But I was really wowed by NOW’s infused coconut oils. Their Smoked Ghost Pepper flavor is seriously spicy … but the 4 teaspoons that I added to my lentil bowl offered just a hint of smoke without overpowering the dish. Veggies need a little something something, and the infused oil did the trick.
- Serves: 4 to 6
- Serving size: (1 - 1½ cups)
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 36.5g
- Sodium: 10mg
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 11g
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 4 teaspoons Smoked Ghost Pepper infused virgin coconut oil, divided
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped, divided
- 5 cups spiralized butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- Optional Toppings: Crumbled goat cheese, diced avocado, additional cilantro
- Cook the lentils according to package directions. When done, drain and set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat 2 teaspoons of the coconut oil in a Dutch oven or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the cooked lentils (you’ll have 2 generous cups) and ½ cup of the cilantro and stir until warmed through. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Place back in the bowl that the lentils were in, and cover.
- Add the remaining coconut oil to the Dutch oven or skillet. Add the spiralized squash noodles and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.
- To serve, arrange the squash noodles evenly in 4 to 6 bowls. Arrange the lentils on top or next to the noodles. Garnish with the remaining ½ cup cilantro and the optional toppings, as desired.
What’s your favorite power bowl meal?