Sugar. It’s everywhere in our food supply, and we eat a lot of it. Kids crave it, and parents struggle to keep it in check. Did you know that the average U.S. child consumes almost 80 grams (20 teaspoons) of added sugar per day? That’s nearly half a cup! On this week’s podcast, dietitian and mom, Laura Chalela Hoover, MPH, RD joins me to talk about her new book, Mom’s Sugar Solution, share tips and tricks for taming your family’s sweet tooth, and serve up recipes for kids’ favorite foods made with less sugar. Wait till you hear about her Raspberry Chia Mini Muffins made with honey and her Ruby Red Soda made with no added sugar. You won’t believe how sweet and delicious food can be without the added sugar!
Click the PLAY button above to listen to the show.
Love the LHT podcast? Subscribe on iTunes and post a review.
I personally have a sweet tooth, so I was super excited to have Laura on the show to share her best tips and tricks to slashing sugar. Unfortunately for all of us humans, fighting sugar cravings is a bit like fighting our biology. Humans are hard-wired to crave sugar from birth, so Laura says the best way to tackle it is to wean off slowly. But Laura’s book isn’t entirely sugar free. She provides lower-sugar alternatives to kid favorites … including dessert. Yes, we can all have our cake and eat a portion of it too!
Stick around for a chance to win a free copy of Mom’s Sugar Solution as well as freebies and discounts from Laura to the Liz’s Healthy Table community.
Are you hungry for new ways to tackle your sweet tooth? I am!
“All kinds of sugar are equal when it comes to calories.”
– Laura Hoover
I’m giving away a copy of Mom’s Sugar Solution!
Book giveaway: Leave a comment at the end of this post and tell me why you want to win the cookbook and/or your best tip for taming your family’s sweet tooth. (U.S. only, please).
- Laura tells me all about her sweet family and the foods they love to eat.
- The number-one challenge parents face when it comes to feeding their kids is sugar.
- Humans are hardwired to love sugar. Find out why!
- How much sugar is OK?
- Learn how to make Ruby Red Soda with no added sugar.
- Understanding the different sources of sugar.
- The AAP says that just little bit of sugar can boost the appeal of healthy foods like oatmeal. Do you agree? We do.
- Eating protein with sugar can help you control blood sugar spikes.
- What’s the deal with high fructose corn syrup. Thumbs up or down?
- Be on the lookout for added sugar and become a sugar detective.
- Watch out for organic and natural labels. Don’t get fooled by the buzzwords.
- Hear why I love Laura’s Raspberry Chia Mini Muffins. (See recipe below.)
- Stocking your pantry with kid-friendly, low-sugar items with Laura’s freebie: 100 Pantry Staples.
- 20% off Laura’s personal wellness counseling services. Tell them you’re an LHT listener / reader.
My email: [email protected]
Laura’s website: Smart Eating for Kids
Get Laura’s Book – Mom’s Sugar Solution
Learn About Laura’s Personalized Wellness Counseling
Download my 7-Day Meal Planner
Connect with Laura:
Laura on Facebook
Laura on Twitter
Laura on Instagram
Have a question about the show or a suggestion for a future show? Ask away by posting a comment below or joining my Podcast Posse.