If you’re hungry for ways to stretch your food dollars at the supermarket, you’re in luck. On today’s podcast, you’ll be eating well on just $4.00 a day. Why $4.00? That’s the amount provided by SNAP, the USDA’s food stamps program, and the inspiration behind Good And Cheap, written by Leanne Brown. From large families and seniors to college students, people across the country face food insecurity every day. Whether you want to save pennies on your weekly grocery bill or cut your food budget in a big way, my guest, Leanne Brown, makes saving money at the grocery store doable, delicious, and nutritious.
Click the PLAY button above to listen to the show.
Love the LHT podcast? Subscribe on iTunes and post a review.
Leanne is a big proponent of cooking from scratch using real, wholesome, unprocessed foods. She says eating on a budget doesn’t mean you have to live on ramen noodles. The recipes in her book are inventive, creative, and mostly plant based, because meat is expensive. Good and Cheap is available for purchase, or you can head to Leanne’s website and download a copy (English or Spanish) for free. And if you do purchase a copy, a second copy will be donated to someone in need.
“If you cook things yourself from basic ingredients, it ends up being a lot cheaper.”
– Leanne Brown
Read on for Leanne’s recipes for Brussels Sprout Hash and Eggs and Cauliflower Cheese … and to enter to win a copy of Good and Cheap.
I’m giving away a copy of Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4/Day by Leanne Brown (Workman, 2015)
- The whole story behind why Leanne decided to write Good and Cheap.
- The Good and Cheap Kickstarter story.
- How Leanne blends quality food with a strict food budget.
- Eat less meat, increase your vegetable consumption, and buy eggs.
- How you can repurpose wilted vegetables in recipes like crustless quiche.
- Ideas for using up leftover fish, including fish tacos or a seafood omelet.
- Leanne’s recipe for Brussels Sprouts Hash and Eggs.
- Saving money by meal planning, getting organized, freezer cooking, and cooking from scratch.
- Download my 7-Day Meal Planner for FREE!
- Take advantage of oatmeal. It’s only as boring as your imagination.
- Leann’s recipe for Cauliflower Cheese.
- My recipe for Corny Salmon Cakes.
- Leanne’s favorite recipe in the book: Chana Masala.
- Leanne’s favorite cookbook that changed her life.
My email: [email protected]
Download a copy of Good And Cheap
Download my 7-Day Meal Planner
Connect with Leanne:
Leanne on Facebook
Leanne on Twitter
Leanne on Instagram
Have a question about the show or a suggestion for a future show? Ask away by posting a comment below or joining my Podcast Posse.