These SunGold Flower Power Fruit Pizzas are a playful and nutritious after-school snack made with whole wheat English muffins, a slightly sweet mixture of goat cheese and honey, and a flower-shaped medley of colorful fruits including Zespri SunGold kiwifruit, Mandarin oranges, blueberries, and raspberries.
Zespri kiwifruit is a sponsor of the Liz’s Healthy Table podcast, and on this week’s show, I featured this healthy new snack recipe as part of a Back to School Fuel episode. My guest, dietitian and mom, Rebecca Scritchfield, RDN joined me on the show to offer lunchbox packing tips, recipe ideas, and easy ways to add more joy to family mealtime.
These healthy snack pizzas look Pinterest worthy, but I’m happy to report that they’re easy to assemble. And your kids can certainly help. Just set out toasted English muffin halves, a mixture of goat cheese and honey (or light cream cheese if you prefer), and a variety of fresh fruit. Let your kids take over from there to create their own flower-studded pizzas.
SunGolds have a tropical, sweet flavor and a smooth skin that’s edible. In my family, our favorite way to eat them is to slice in half and scoop the fruit with a spoon. Our second way is to slice and use as a topping on English muffin pizzas, and our third favorite way is to add these sweet little gems to smoothies and smoothie bowls.
The nutritional benefits of Zespri SunGold kiwifruit is impressive. Each serving (2 kiwifruit) has more vitamin C than an orange, as much potassium as a banana, 2 grams of filling fiber, and antioxidants.
- One whole wheat English muffin
- 3 ounces goat cheese or cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 SunGold Zespri kiwifruit
- 4 Mandarine orange or clementine sections
- 5 blueberries
- 5 raspberries
- Extra fruit for topping or snacking
- Slice the English muffin in half. Place in a toaster oven and toast lightly.
- Slice the SunGold into 4 to 6 slices. Set 2 of the slices aside and then cut all other slices in half.
- Place the goat cheese and honey in a small bowl and mix together until combined.
- To make the flowers, place the kiwifruit, orange sections, and berries in three separate bowls. Spread the goat cheese mixture evenly over each half.
- Arrange the fruit in a flower shape on top of each English muffin half. Use the round kiwifruit slices as the center of each flower and the kiwifruit halves as petals.
GIVEAWAY IS OVER:
Rebecca is giving away a copy of her new book, Body Kindness: Transform your health from the inside out–and never say diet again.
To enter to win (U.S. only, please), leave a comment here on the blog with your best recipe or tip for packing a healthy and joyful school lunch. I’ll pick the book winner at random. Giveaway ends September 1st at noon ET. Good luck!