There’s been a good bit of buzz lately in new parent circles about a new way to feed babies called, “Baby-Led Weaning” or “Baby-Led Feeding.” What is it, how does it work, and why can it help parents raise more adventurous eaters? My guest this week is registered dietitian and baby feeding expert, Katie Ferraro, RD. She’s a mom of the most adorable quadruplets you’ll ever lay your eyes on, so she knows a thing or two or three or four about Baby Led Weaning!
Click the PLAY button above to tune in. And if you like the show, post a review on iTunes.
Katie has five kids: the quadruplets—Charlie, Claire, Henry and Dillon—and an adorable toddler named Molly, who apparently rules the roost! After struggling to feed her older daughter, Katie knew something was going to have to change for her four new babies. As a nutrition expert herself, Katie started to do some digging, and what she discovered was the brave new world of Baby-Led Weaning. Gone are the days of pureed peas and rice cereal fed by a parent or caregiver on a spoon. Baby Led Weaning introduces babies (six months or older) to a wide variety of age-appropriate foods … by little fistful. Katie has a wealth of knowledge and experience (times four) to share, and it was a pleasure to learn from her.
Tune in for all the information you’ll ever need to know about Baby-Led Weaning, and stick around for my Fluffy California Avocado and Ricotta Pancake recipe, perfect for parents ready to take up the practice!
- Hear Katie’s journey to Baby-Led Weaning, and what it takes to master it.
- What to expect when you begin Baby-Led Weaning: stick with it!
- Build up proficient eaters by introducing solid foods at 6 months.
- Katie explains why size matters when preparing food for your baby.
- Hear how to get a list of the 100 foods your baby should try…before she turns one!
- Katie explains the nutritional benefits to Baby-Led Weaning.
- Is there a financial benefit to Baby-Led Weaning?
- 50 Bananas a week? See how Katie learned the importance of snacking to meet her quadruplets nutritional needs.
- Explore the ways avocados are filled with healthy fats and important nutrients like fiber, folate and vitamin K.
- Get my recipe for Fluffy Ricotta and California Avocado Pancakes.
- Katie and I discuss some unconventional baby foods.
- Katie dispels the myth that the risk of gagging is higher with Baby-Led Weaning.
My email: [email protected]
Also check out the meal plans at Super Healthy Kids – www.superhealthykids.com
Have a question about the show or a suggestion for a future show? Ask away by posting a comment below.