Hello summer! Turn leftover grilled chicken into a fresh, flavorful lunch the next day with this recipe for Lemony Chicken Avocado Wraps. These wraps are easy, peasy: All you do is top two whole grain wraps with a mix of chopped chicken, diced avocado, green onion, mint, dried cranberries, lemon juice, plain Greek yogurt, and honey, roll ’em up, and then pack in your kids’ summer camp lunch boxes or your family’s weekend picnic basket.
I partnered with Flatout Flatbread to create this recipe and post. I was compensated for my work, but all ideas are my own.
I’m all about keeping things simple and light in the summer. No muss. No fuss. And as a family, we definitely tend to gravitate to foods that are cold versus hot, which is why sandwiches and wraps make up the bulk of our lunches this time of year.
For the base, I used Honey Wheat Flatout Flatbread wraps. Each wrap has just 100 calories, 0 grams of saturated fat, and a very impressive 7 grams of fiber. (Most adults and kids don’t consume the recommended 19 to 38 grams of fiber each day, so the 7 grams from the flatbread was much appreciated!) The wraps are soft and easy to roll. Whether portion control is a priority for you and your family or you’re cooking up breakfast, lunch, or dinner, Flatout Flatbeads are a simple, fast, and nutritious solution.
And then there’s the filling. I chose leftover chicken—you can use grilled or rotisserie—and combined it with half a diced avocado (avocados are my favorite food on the planet!), dried cranberries, a thinly sliced green onion, mint, lemon juice, plain Greek yogurt (no mayo required), a drizzle of honey, and salt and pepper to taste. I tossed in a handful of arugula, because I love the slightly peppery taste, rolled it all up in a wrap, and voila … a delicious and nutritious lunch.
When my boys were in elementary school and I packed their lunches, one of their favorite sandwiches was turkey and cheese with lettuce, relish, and tomato on a Flatout Foldit. Over the years, their palates have matured, and now they’re open to more adventurous flavors and ingredient combos, which explains why they happily ate this slightly sophisticated wrap the day I created it … and the next day too.
- Serves: 2
- Serving size: 1 wrap
- Calories: 370
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Sodium: 360mg
- Fiber: 11g
- Protein: 36g
- 6 ounces cooked chicken, cut into ½-inch dice (1½ cups)
- ½ avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 6 mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 green onion, trimmed and cut into thin rounds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- Drizzle of honey
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- A few handfuls of arugula or baby greens, optional
- 2 Flatout Flatbread Honey Wheat wraps
- Place the chicken, avocado, dried cranberries, mint, onion, lemon juice, yogurt, honey, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl and stir until everything is combined.
- To assemble the wraps, arrange the arugula as desired onto the middle of each flatbread, arrange the chicken mixture evenly over each, and roll up, beginning at the rounded end. Cut in half.
What are your go-to sandwich favorites for summer camp lunches and picnics?