Beans in your smoothie bowl? You betcha! This nutrient-packed smoothie bowl comes together quickly with fiber-rich cannellini beans, carrot juice, frozen pineapple, chia seeds, and banana. It’s naturally sweet, rich in vitamins A and C, and provides 5 grams of fiber.
This week, kids across the country are heading back to school, even though the sun is shining bright and summer is still in full swing. I realize that for a lot of you, this new back-to-school reality means taking a break from Pokemon GO, dusting off backpacks and lunchboxes, and revving up your repertoire of healthy family recipes.
To keep your kids well fed and well fueled throughout the day, I’m here to the rescue with this recipe for Carrot Sunshine Smoothie Bowls. I created quite a few smoothie bowl recipes over the past few months, and I was determined to come up with at least one recipe with beans. It may sound a bit strange, but the beans work really well in the recipe, adding thickness, and of course, fiber.
Blend up this flavorful bowl for breakfast, as an after-school snack … or even dessert.
This recipe is one of the 10 smoothie bowls offered in Color. Cook. Eat! Smoothie Bowls.
If you’re a fan of adult (or kid) coloring, check out the adorable mandala coloring page for this recipe. For kids who shy away from carrots, this coloring page could be the antidote.
- Serves: 2
- Serving size: ¾ cup
- Calories: 180
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Sodium: 60mg
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 4g
- ¾ cup frozen pineapple chunks
- ½ cup cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup carrot juice
- ½ sliced and frozen banana
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, softened
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Optional Toppings: Banana, o-shaped cereal, dried cranberries, dried apricots
- Place the pineapple, beans, juice, banana, honey, chia seeds, and cinnamon in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into individual bowls and garnish with your choice of optional toppings.
What’s on your family’s menu this week as the kids head back to school?