This flavorful apple-topped pizza comes together quickly with a store-bought flatbread pizza crust, Cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, green onions, sweet slices of Ambrosia apples, and maple syrup.
Add a fun new twist to family pizza night with a sweet apple topping!
I created this recipe after joining six other food writers last weekend for an Ambrosia Apple Tour in Wenatchee, WA sponsored by Columbia Marketing International (CMI). My expenses were paid for, but I was not paid to write this post or develop this recipe. All opinions are my own.
I traveled to central Washington state for a tour of Ambrosia apple orchards (and a few vineyards!), and I got a glimpse into how new apple varieties like Ambrosia are developed and how they’re grown, picked, and shipped to supermarkets across the country. I saw acres of apple trees heavy with fruit, tasted sweet, crisp apples out of hand and in dishes like Warm Curried Ambrosia Apple Soup with Creme Fraiche, and feasted my eyes on the Cascade Mountains which surrounded us during our entire visit.
Here I am picking apples with new friend and fellow food writer, Rowann Gilman from The Nibble.
Now … back to my pizza:
The juicy, sweet apples and the maple syrup are an unexpected surprise on this pizza, and they pair up perfectly with the bacon and cheese 🙂
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Calories: 260
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Sodium: 520mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 13g
- One 10.5 ounce flatbread pizza crust (10 x 11½ inches)
- 1½ cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 slices cooked applewood-smoked bacon, crumbled
- 2 green onions, white and light parts, thinly sliced
- 1 Ambrosia apple, peeled and cut into 22 to 24 thin slices
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Dried cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the flatbread pizza crust on a work surface. Arrange ¾ cup of the cheese, the bacon, green onions, and apple slices evenly over the top. Drizzle the maple syrup and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon over the apples. Top the apples with the remaining ¾ cup cheese.
- Place the pizza inside the oven directly on the middle rack, and bake according to package directions, 10 to 12 minutes.
Stop by later for my next post on the Ambrosia apple orchards of Washington.