These family-pleasing Tuna and Smashed Avocado Snack Cakes will hold you over between meals with fiber, protein, healthy fats, and fantastic flavors. This recipe is made with a smashed avocado and plain Greek yogurt instead of the usual mayonnaise, and it’s gluten free.
By posting this recipe, I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Bumble Bee Seafoods and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time. Contest organized by The Recipe Redux.
I created this recipe as a snack for kids and families, but you could certainly double the portion and serve it for lunch. There are three big reasons why I love this recipe so much:
1. It’s easy to make.
2. It’s flexible: You can serve it on mini or large-size rice cakes, between two slices of whole grain bread, over a salad, or inside a hollowed-out tomato.
3. Its star ingredient is tuna, which is rich in protein, a good source of B vitamins, and provides a simple way to get more seafood into your family’s diet.
Most people don’t eat enough seafood despite its health benefits and despite the June 2014 draft seafood advice from the FDA and EPA encouraging everyone to eat at least 8 to 12 ounces (2 to 3 servings) of seafood per week.
This recipe gets you one easy step closer to the goal of adding more seafood to your family’s diet. Plus, it’s yummy, crunchy, and fun to eat!
Canned tuna and other seafood is a convenient, affordable, nutritious and delicious way to get more seafood onto your family’s table.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1 Cake
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Sodium: 135mg
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 8g
- 1 avocado, seeded, peeled, and mashed
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- Two 5-ounce cans Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore in Water, drained and finely flaked
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded on the large holes of a box grater (1/2 packed cup)
- 1 to 2 green onions, 2 inches trimmed off green top and remaining part thinly sliced
- 6 brown rice cakes
- 6 thin slices tomato, optional
- Place the avocado, yogurt, and honey mustard in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the tuna, carrot, and green onion and stir again to combine.
- Arrange a ⅓ cup scoop of the tuna mixture on top of each of the rice cakes. Top with a tomato slice as desired.
What’s your favorite seafood recipe?