These frozen chocolate-covered banana bites are made with semi-sweet chocolate chips and a crunchy coating of nutty-flavored hemp seeds, unsweetened coconut, and chopped pecans. It’s a gluten-free dessert with a healthy twist that your family will love!
First there was quinoa; then there were chia seeds; and now hemp seeds have made their way into my kitchen. It took me a while to jump on the hemp seed bandwagon, but now that I’m on it, I can’t get off.
Hemp seeds (also known as hemp hearts) are the star ingredient in this recipe for Frozen Chocolate-and-Hemp-Smothered Banana Bites.
These tiny super seeds (also known as hemp hearts) are a complete protein—they contain all 21 amino acids including the 9 essential amino acids—and they have a 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids. They’re also an excellent source of magnesium, a nutrient important for healthy blood pressure and strong bones.
Hemp seeds are versatile …
Use them as an ingredient in homemade granola bars, cookies, muffins, pancakes, or overnight oats, as a topping for salads and parfaits, as a component in coatings for chicken or fish, and blended into smoothies.
Dip banana slices in chocolate ….
… coat in the hemp seed mixture. And then freeze.
- Serves: 8
- Serving size: 3 pieces
- Calories: 170
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Sodium: 0mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 3g
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons expeller pressed canola oil
- 2 medium ripe bananas, peeled and cut into twenty four ½-inch slices
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and set aside.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add the hemp seeds, pecans, and coconut and toast, stirring constantly until lightly golden and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Lower the heat if the mixture browns too quickly. Remove from heat or transfer to a shallow bowl and cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the chocolate chips and canola oil in a double boiler over low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate melts, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for about 3 minutes.
- To make the banana bites, use our (almost) mess-free dipping method: Use a toothpick or wooden skewer and insert horizontally into one banana slice. Dip carefully into the melted chocolate, coating about 80% of the slice. Dip into the hemp mixture and coat well. Place on the parchment-lined baking sheet, remove the toothpick, and repeat with the remaining banana slices.
- Place baking sheet in the freezer, making sure to keep it flat, and freeze for at least 1 hour.
Have you used hemp seeds before? How do you use them?