These luscious Brownie Bites are a healthy makeover of classic gooey brownies, but they taste just as decadent. Oh, and they’re made with hummus instead of gobs of butter! How’s that for a fun ingredient swap?
Looking for a special dessert for your family with a better-for-you fat profile, less added sugar, and more beneficial nutrients? Look no further than our yummy Hummus Brownie Bites.
Disclosure: I created this recipe for Sabra and was compensated for the recipe and social media outreach. All opinions are solely my own.
So why did I add hummus to our brownies? Well, for starters, I’m always on the lookout for clever ways to give family favorites a healthy fix, and hummus seemed like the ideal addition to our recipe.
And hummus is super nutritious.
Sabra hummus is made the traditional Middle Eastern way with chickpeas, tahini, oil, garlic, and spices.
Chickpeas are a nutrient-dense bean, and beans are a vegetable! And tahini is a paste made from roasted and ground sesame seeds, which are rich in heart-healthy fats.
Did you know that eating two heaping spoonfuls of hummus each day meets the Dietary Guidelines recommendation of 1½ cups of beans per week.
For the fix, I used mild-flavored Sabra Classic Hummus; it blended right into the batter and was an awesome fat replacer for the usual stick (or two) of butter that you find in most brownie recipes.
Have you tried hummus? How do you add it to your diet? As a dip for vegetables? As a sandwich spread? Mixed into mashed potatoes? Have you ever used it in a dessert?
- Serves: 12
- Serving size: 2 Brownie Bites
- Calories: 140
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Sodium: 135mg
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed (about ½ cup)
- ½ cup Sabra Classic Hummus
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray 24 mini muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, banana, hummus, and vanilla until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Remove the brownie bites and cool an additional 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar as desired. (Cool completely before sprinkling.)
What’s your favorite way to serve hummus to your family?
For more hummus recipes, visit Sabra.com.