Slow cooked pulled pork is a favorite recipe from No Whine with Dinner. Made with lean pork, bell pepper, onion, carrot, and BBQ sauce, it’s delicious and nutritious … and the recipe always makes enough for leftovers.
Pulled Pork in the slow cooker can easily be turned into these Pork Soft Tacos. Cook Once and Eat Twice is the theme of this month’s Recipe Redux cooking challenge, so I took leftover pulled pork and morphed it into Pork Soft Tacos.
This “recipe” is pretty flexible. Take soft corn tortillas and heat them in a skillet or microwave. Arrange a quarter cup of leftover pulled pork down the center and add your favorite toppers: black beans, sliced green onions, shredded low-fat cheese, fresh or jarred salsa, low-fat plain Greek yogurt, and cilantro. I would have added diced avocado but I didn’t have a ripe one on hand. (Bummer.)
- 2½ pounds pork loin, trimmed of fat and cut into 3 pieces
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced into ½-inch wedges
- One 12-ounce jar barbecue sauce
- Leftover pulled pork
- Soft corn tortillas
- Black beans
- Shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Green onions, sliced thin
- Low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Fresh cilantro
- Add the pork, carrot, red bell pepper, onion, and barbecue sauce to a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker and stir to combine (you can also add half the barbecue sauce now and stir in the rest when the dish is done). Cover and cook on low until the pork is tender, 6 to 8 hours.
- When the meat is done, remove from the slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Use two forks to pull the meat into shredded pieces.
- Stir the meat back into the slow cooker until it is well combined with the sauce (the vegetables virtually disappear).
- Use leftover pulled pork for soft tacos. Take soft corn tortillas and heat them in a skillet or microwave. Arrange a quarter cup of leftover pulled pork down the center of each corn tortilla and add your favorite toppers.