Eating for overall good health and diabetes prevention just got a whole lot easier with this family-pleasing recipe for Chicken Veggie Stir Fry.
Over 80 million Americans of all ages have pre-diabetes, which puts them at risk for developing type 2 diabetes—a disease that can lead to blindness, kidney failure, and blood vessel damage. Obesity, inactivity, a low fiber diet, and a high intake of sugar-sweetened beverages are common risk factors for diabetes.
To the rescue is registered dietitian, Hillary Wright, M.Ed, RD whose new book, The Pre-Diabetes Diet Plan outlines simple eating and exercise strategies aimed at reversing and preventing diabetes.
As part of her pre-diabetes diet plan, Hillary recommends filling half your plate with non-starchy vegetables, 25% with a lean protein food, and the remaining 25% with a starchy veggie or whole grain. She’s not anti carb, but instead, she emphasizes the Two Qs: quality (whole grain) and quantity (not too much).
I served our stir fry with whole grain brown rice and stuck to a 2/3 cup portion.
- Serves: 4
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 380mg
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 26g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- Juice of 1 lime, divided
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon expeller pressed canola oil
- 2 carrots, cut into very thin rounds (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups bite-size broccoli florets (from 1 small bunch)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and then cut into ¼-inch-thick half moons (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions cut into ¼-inch pieces (white and green parts)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- ¼ cup sliced fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Brown rice, optional
- Place 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, ginger, juice of half a lime, and 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil in a large zip-top plastic bag or bowl. Add the chicken pieces, seal the bag, and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
- When ready to make your stir fry, heat the oil in a large wok or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and the marinade and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the carrots, broccoli, zucchini, garlic, green onions, and jalapeno pepper and stir fry 7 more minutes, or until the chicken is done and the vegetables are crisp tender.
- Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce, remaining lime juice, and the remaining sesame oil. Before serving, stir in the basil and cilantro.
- Serve with brown rice as desired.