Learn how to roast nutritious delicata squash for Cinnamon Roasted Delicata Squash Slices , a simple, naturally-sweet autumn side dish your family will love.
If you’re trying to get more vegetables into your family’s diet, shake things up by trying something new. Every autumn you’ll find delicata squash at the market. It’s easy to prepare … if you know the right technique.
Roasted delicata squash tastes like candy. There’s simply no other way to describe it.
You can slice delicata lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, and roast it that way, but I prefer slicing each half into pretty half-moon shapes and then roasting. It’s more appealing to my kids (and to my husband and me!), and the slices cook up in just 20 minutes.
For every two, medium-size squash, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large microwave-safe bowl; you can also use 1 tablespoon olive oil. Stir in the slices and toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with kosher salt and cinnamon. For my recipe below, I actually used cinnamon butter, which I bought at Hornstra Farms located south of Boston. (I’ll tell you more about the farm in my next post.)
Place the slices a baking sheet and pop in a 425°F oven for 20 minutes; turn the slices halfway through with tongs.
YOU ARE DONE!
- Serves: 4
- Calories: 80
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Sodium: 35mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Two 12-ounce delicata squashes
- 1 tablespoon butter or extra virgin olive oil (I used cinnamon butter from Hornstra Farms)
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly coat a large, rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Slice off the pointy stem on each squash. Cut each squash in half lengthwise, remove the seeds, and cut into ½-inch slices.
- Melt the butter in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Place the squash slices in the bowl and toss until well coated with the melted butter. If you're using cinnamon butter, sprinkle the slices generously with the salt. If you're using regular butter, also sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, turning each slice halfway through (I use tongs to turn the slices but you can also use a spatula or a fork). Season with additional salt to taste.
Do you have a favorite delicata squash recipe? Tell me about it. 🙂