Make my easy and nutritious Apple Chicken Salad for your child’s lunch box or serve it up as a healthy after-school snack.
Use crisp, autumn apples for a chicken salad recipe your kids will love. (Even picky eaters give this recipe two-thumbs up!) For my healthy makeover, I use light mayonnaise, unpeeled apples for extra nutrition, crunchy celery, and skinless chicken breast.
Most apple varieties work well in this recipe. Choose Granny Smith apple if your family prefers tart flavors, or go sweet with a Golden or Red Delicious.
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: ½ cup
- Calories: 160
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Sodium: 200mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 15g
- 2 cups finely diced cooked chicken (from 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves)
- 1 medium apple, unpeeled and finely diced (about 1¼ cups)
- ¼ cup finely diced celery
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- Place the chicken, apple, and celery in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the mayonnaise and stir until the chicken mixture is well coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve and use within 2 days.