I adore The Slim Down South Cookbook. And even though I’m a Yankees who says silly things like “wicked awesome” (OK, maybe I’m exaggerating just a bit), this cookbook is a must-have, no matter where in the country you may live. The book was written by Atlanta-based dietitian, Carolyn O’Neil and the editors of Southern Living and includes lightened up Southern-style recipes including Honey-Grilled Pork Tenderloin, Sweet Pea Crostini, and Baked Pears with Toasted Oat Topping.
This light yet rich-tasting salad calls for just two slices of bacon. Carolyn recommends using center-cut bacon, which is lower in fat and calories.
For the chicken, I used Trader Joe’s roasted chicken. It was a fast and flavorful shortcut.
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 279
- Fat: 12.5g
- Saturated fat: 6.3g
- Unsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrates: 3.2g
- Sodium: 350mg
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 35.8g
- ½ cup buttery garlic-and-herb spreadable cheese
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken (about 6 breast halves)
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup chopped green onion tops
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1/16 teaspoon table salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Assorted mixed greens, optional
- Microwave cheese in a small microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 20 seconds. Stir in next 4 ingredients, tossing well. Add salt and pepper. Serve on assorted greens, if desired.