This vegetarian, gluten-free soup takes just minutes to prepare and everyone in your family will slurp it up happily!
I created this Last-Minute Black Bean Soup for my first book, The Moms’ Guide to Meal Makeovers, and recently, I cooked it up for my Liz’s Healthy Table video series on YouTube.
Recently, a fan named Sandra posted on my Facebook page that she likes to mix this soup with sour cream and then use it as a filling for bean enchiladas. Creative, don’t you think?
Last-Minute Black Bean Soup
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 180
- Fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 33g
- Sodium: 380mg
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 10g
Recipe type: Soup
- One 15-ounce can reduced-sodium black beans, undrained
- 1½ cups frozen corn kernels
- ¾ cup salsa
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (juice of 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, optional
- Fresh chopped cilantro, optional
- In a medium saucepan, combine the beans, corn, salsa, water, bell pepper, lime juice, chili powder, and cumin. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls and top with the cheese and sour cream and cilantro as desired.
This recipe has provides 60% of your vitamin C, 15% of your calcium, and 15% of your iron per serving.
What’s your favorite cool-weather soup?
[…] Lentil Stew with Root Vegetables by Sharon Palmer RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian Last Minute Black Bean Soup by Liz Weiss […]